giovedì 6 aprile 2017

The Hidden Memory of Objects by Danielle Mages Amato



  



Ready for our next read?

Megan Brown's brother, Tyler, is dead, but the cops are killing him all over again.They say he died of a drug overdose, potentially suicide—something Megan cannot accept.

Determined to figure out what happened, Megan turns to the things he left behind. After all, she understands the stories objects can tell—she is a gifted artist with a flair for creating found-object pieces. However, Megan now realizes that her artistic talent has developed into something more: she can see memories attached to some of Tyler's belongings—and those memories reveal a brother she never knew.

Along with a trusted classmate and her brother's charming friend, she chases down the troubling truth about Tyler across Washington, DC, while reclaiming her own stifled identity.

Find out if Megan uncovers the truth about Tyler's death in this week's FIRST5 pick: The Hidden Memory of Objects by Danielle Mages Amato!

Missed a chapter? No problem! Read Chapter 1, Chapter 2 or Chapter 3 now.

 

CHAPTER 4

THAT NIGHT I CURLED UNDER THE COVERS WEARing my warmest flannel pajamas, bone weary and cold all over. My phone chirped, and I brought it into bed with me. Elena had sent a picture of the Goonies movie poster.
Feel like a watch-along? she wrote.
We can spend the whole movie texting….
Sorry, I wrote.
It’s been a day.
No apologies, she wrote back.
What flavor of day?
You know. The usual.
Human sacrifice.
Dogs and cats, living together.
Mass hysteria.
Whoa. Ghostbusters day.
That’s not effing around.
There will be stories.
I hope so.
Later.
I’ll be here.
I rested my phone on the pillow beside me and watched the video of me and Tyler that Nathan had sent for maybe the dozenth time. At first, it had seemed so sweet, but the more I watched it, the more it troubled me. I had no idea he’d recorded our guitar lessons. In some shots I’d been wearing school clothes, but in others, I was in ratty pajama bottoms and a T-shirt with no bra. And he’d put me out there for anyone to see, with no warning, without asking. He clearly valued his own privacy, but didn’t he think I deserved the same?
And when had he even started a YouTube channel? Had he considered himself an amateur filmmaker, or was he just trying to get internet famous like everyone else with a cell-phone camera?
When the video ended, the screen bounced back to Nathan’s original message, and I could see his picture, small and smiling, beside the link that he had sent. I clicked on the photo, and Nathan’s face filled the screen. I studied the curve of his chin and the shadow in the hollow of his cheek, tinged with a hint of violet.
How had Nathan known my brother? How well? For how long? I replayed our two short conversations in my mind, wincing at every awkward, rude comment I’d made, and I remembered that he’d asked if Tyler had shown me “the videos.”
As in more than one.
I sat up in bed and clicked on Tyler’s YouTube username, TwoRedCents, but I didn’t see any other videos on the channel.
Well, maybe Nathan had more he could share.
I sat up and quickly typed out a message. More videos, I wrote, and hit send.
Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. No matter what Elena said, I was terrible at thinking first. My fingers practically tripped over one another trying to correct my mistake.
I mean, are there more videos?
And if so please send?
Videos of Tyler.
Not videos of you.
No offense.
I’d definitely watch videos of you.
I smacked myself in the forehead with the phone. Oh my god, stop hitting send! Before I could figure out a plan for damage control, he wrote back.
Best series of msgs ever.
Thanks.
My fingers hovered over the screen, and my mind raced through a dozen possible responses, but I didn’t type any of them. After a long pause, Nathan texted again.
No more videos. That I know of.
But how are you? You okay?
I let myself fall back onto the pillow. Did Nathan know anything about the money in Tyler’s locker? I didn’t want to bring it up over text—I wanted to see his face when I asked him.
Or maybe I just wanted to see his face.
Lots of questions, I wrote. Can we talk? A blast of nerves shot through my stomach, and I couldn’t quite tell if I was excited or terrified. In person?
Sure, I guess so.
Tomorrow? Here? Or I can come to you.
Another pause, and then he wrote back: In a hurry, huh?
I buried my face in my hands. This whole exchange had been beyond humiliating. Before I could tell him to forget the whole thing, he wrote:
Tomorrow might work. Your place. If I can.
Great, I replied, trying for casual. See you then.
My mom dropped me off at school the next morning, and I walked through the parking lot with the carousel ticket clasped in my fingers, turning it over and over until the paper felt soft as fabric. I was on the lookout for Leigh Barry, the only Leigh I could find in last year’s yearbook. It wasn’t much to go on, but I was going on anyway.
A car horn sounded, and Eric Bowling pulled up beside me in a little blue Geo Metro that must have been twenty years old. He rolled down his window and hooked one elbow out.
“Well, well, well! Exactly the person I was looking for!”
I kept walking.
“I wanted to talk to you,” he said, driving slowly alongside me. “You know, about yesterday. The incident”—he managed to italicize the word with his voice—“by the lockers?”
He waited for some response. I offered none.
“You know which incident I mean?”
I stopped walking and turned to him. “Yes. I know which incident you mean. The incident was fairly memorable to me.”
“Anyhow,” he went on, “I think we should talk. I’ve taken the liberty of preparing some research for you to look at.” He glanced around to make sure no one could hear us. “It’s to help you figure out your next step. You know, as you move forward with your powers.”
“What is your problem? I do not have …” I dropped my voice to a whisper. “I am not some kind of superhero.”
He smiled. “Isn’t that exactly what a superhero would say?”
“You are infuriating. Has anyone ever told you that?”
“Oh, yes,” he said. “You, personally, used to tell me that all the time.” It didn’t sound like an accusation, but still, I felt a pang of guilt for not doing more to stay in touch with Eric. “Now back to the subject at hand. There are a lot of things you should consider.” He reached into his backpack and pulled out a three-ring binder. “I thought about what happened to you, and I decided what you basically did was See the Past.” The phrase “See the Past” got verbal capitals and its own hand gesture. “So I made a list of some local experts who can do that, in different ways. I also pulled some articles and information about each one.”
“You did all that last night?”
“Sure. You can take a look if you want.” He offered me the binder. I started walking again.
“Or I could just tell you.” He pulled the car forward to keep up with me. “There’s that famous psychic, Denise Chambers? She used to live in Phoenix, but I looked for her in property sales records and figured out that she lives in Virginia now. Not far from here. She wrote a ton of books about how she helped the police by communicating with murder victims. And there’s this other woman, Rebecca Tattenbaum; she runs an antique shop on Capitol Hill, and rumor has it the building is haunted—”
“Sorry,” I said, cutting him off. “Thanks but no thanks.” I ducked between two parked cars and made a beeline for the main doors.
* * *
I spotted Leigh Barry at lunchtime, eating at a table with a couple of other girls. Anxiety curled in my stomach as I watched them. If there was anything I hated more than talking to people, it was talking to new people. I reached up and tugged at my hair. Tyler had always acted like talking to people was easy. It was supposed to be easy. I mean, it was called small talk. The word “small” was right there in the name. So why did it feel so massive and unmanageable instead?
Leigh didn’t look particularly intimidating. She wore a rose-pink cardigan over a ratty gray band shirt—the kind that was genuinely worn out, not the kind most Westsiders seemed to have, the ones that cost more because you bought them prefaded. Her pale hair hung down her back in two long braids, and when she laughed, she turned her face toward the ceiling and let out an oversize “Ha!” I waited for her friends to leave before approaching her table.
“Um … hi! Leigh, right?”
Behind her rectangular glasses, Leigh’s eyelashes were so pale they nearly glowed. “That’s me.” She flashed a bright smile. “What’s up?”
She had no idea who I was. Not a promising beginning.
“I’m Megan. Megan Brown? I’m—”
I watched the surprise and recognition move across her face, and her smile collapsed. “Oh, you’re Red’s sister.” She looked around, as though hoping for reinforcements. “Are you … I mean, is there anything you need?”
A double scoop of the salted caramel ice cream from Larry’s, I thought, but I stopped myself. Go along to get along. I mustered a smile. “No, thanks.” I’d been practicing a few smooth, casual questions about Tyler that I could ask, but now that the moment was upon me, my brain was having trouble sending signals to my mouth. I sat down next to Leigh and pulled the ticket out of my pocket. I turned it so she could see her own name on the back. “Do you recognize this?”
She let out a little hum, and her hand went to her mouth, but I could see that she was smiling. I’d found the right girl.
I slid the ticket across the table toward her. “You guys were friends?”
Her mouth went hard. “I thought so.”
“What happened?”
She let out a harsh laugh. “Um, the baseball team’s senior prank happened.”
A few months ago, Tyler and his teammates had broken into the school and set up a Slip ’N Slide, complete with sprinklers, right outside the principal’s office. But what did that have to do with Leigh?
Leigh stood and reached for her backpack. “Anyway, if you want to know more about it, talk to Bobby Drake.” She spit out his name like bad milk. “I’m sure he’ll brag for days.”
“Oh, god,” I shot back without thinking. “Please don’t make me talk to him again.”
She stopped with her bag over one shoulder and stared at me for a second. Then she busted out a laugh and sat down again.
“Listen,” she said, “it was my own fault. I helped them get into the building. Red said it was no big deal. And I believed him.” She sighed and picked up the carousel ticket. “He just lit things up, you know? Like Christmas every day.” Her chin crumpled, but she didn’t cry.
Her emotion washed through me. Then I remembered: Bobby had said that Leigh’s dad used to work here.
“The prank … did your dad lose his job over it?”
One harsh nod from Leigh. “Because he took the blame for the missing access key. He covered for me.”
I thought about the roll of money in Tyler’s locker, and the pieces fell into place in my mind. He’d been saving the money for Leigh, because he felt bad about her father. I unzipped my backpack and took out the roll of cash.
“When I found that ticket, it was attached to this.” I held it out to Leigh, but she recoiled as though I’d offered her a spider. I tried again. “Seriously. I think he meant it for you.”
She pushed my hand away. “Yeah, he tried to pay me off months ago. And I told him I didn’t want his guilt money.”
“I’m sure he wanted to do what was right.”
“No, Tyler just wanted to be the good guy. He couldn’t accept that this time—he wasn’t. He was the bad guy. And he couldn’t talk his way out of it. Or buy his way out of it. But that’s how all of you think.”
I shook my head. “All of us?”
“My dad took this job in the first place so I could go to this amazing school.” Her voice was laced with sarcasm. “But it didn’t take me long to figure out that everyone who goes here is, like, Richie Rich, and they have no concept of what real life is like. Or they feel sorry for me.”
“I don’t—” I began.
“Save it.” She shook her head. “Do you even realize how messed up this place is? I mean, sixteen-year-olds get cars that cost more than my dad used to make in a year. And those weekly assemblies where they announce who got into what fancy college? It’s like they’re actually trying to rub it in.”
“Yeah, those assemblies suck,” I tried.
But Leigh wasn’t listening. “So I’ll tell you what I told your brother: I don’t want your charity. I feel sorry for you, for living in this privileged little bubble and having no idea what life is like in the real world.”
As she grabbed her backpack, I sat stunned, tears in my eyes.
She looked back at me, and I watched her realize that I was the girl whose brother had just died. Her shoulders sagged, and her face twisted into a wince. “Aw, fuck,” she said. “I’m really sorry. I’m really …” She dashed away without finishing her sentence, leaving me once again the center of curious stares from everyone in the room.
I shoved the money back into my bag. Leigh’s words stung, because there was truth to what she’d said. This school was an unforgiving place for people who weren’t on the “right track,” or who didn’t fit into the Westside mold. And no matter how harmless Tyler might have thought that team prank was, he had used Leigh. He’d hurt her, and he’d hurt her family. I understood why he’d been looking for any way to make it right. But even if that’s what the money was for, I still didn’t know where it was from, or how Tyler and Bobby had managed to “earn” more than four thousand dollars.
I watched Leigh’s braids flying as she disappeared through the cafeteria doors. I took out my art journal and did a quick sketch ofher in pen: her head thrown back, laughing full out at the sky.
When Dad and I came home that night with Chinese takeout for dinner, Detective Johnson was sitting at our kitchen table.
Her leather jacket hung over the back of a chair, and a knotty black tattoo peeked out from under the cuff of her white dress shirt. My mother perched on a barstool, just back from her evening run, her hair in a sweaty ponytail and her posture rigid and stiff. Johnson looked up when I came through the door, and her keen eyes met mine.
I glanced at my bag, as though she could see the roll of cash right through the canvas. Should I tell Detective Johnson about the money? It felt disloyal, somehow, like ratting Tyler out, but on the other hand, why should I keep it a secret?
Mom turned and spotted me, and her body immediately relaxed. She held out a hand, and I walked to stand beside her.
“Detective Johnson is here,” she said unnecessarily.
“Detective Johnson is leaving.” The officer pulled on her jacket, and relief washed over me. “But I do have a question for Megan before I go.”
I sank down on a stool next to my mother, letting my bag thunk to the floor at my feet. Mom rested a hand on my arm. Her fingers were trembling, and I curled my hand around hers.
“We’re investigating the possibility that Tyler was at a party in northeast DC the week before he died,” Johnson said. “Not far from where his body was found.”
“A party?” I shook my head, confused. On one level, it made sense. Tyler at a party—that always made sense. Part of his plan to make sure I fit in at Westside—or at least got by—was to drag me to a lot of excruciating parties. But I’d never heard him talk about going to one in DC. “Is that bad?”
“Not necessarily. But if he went to that neighborhood regularly, to meet with friends, that might help us understand what Tyler was doing there the night he was found.”
“Did you know anything about this party, Megan?” my father asked. “You can tell us. You don’t have to protect him.”
I don’t? I thought. But that’s what he would have done for me.
But then I paused.
At least, I think he would.
Mom’s hand tightened in mine. She hated the police asking me questions. She might call that “being protective,” but to me, it felt like babying, as though she thought my poor childlike brain would be scarred by the harsh facts of the police investigation. Mom and Dad would shuffle Detective Johnson out the front door as fast as they could. But Johnson might know things about Tyler that I didn’t, and as long as she was still here, maybe I could do some investigating of my own.
“I went to some parties with Tyler,” I said. “Where was it? I mean, do you have the address?”
Johnson looked a bit suspicious, but she pulled up the information on her phone and showed it to me. “Well?”
I repeated the address in my head a few times so I would remember it, then shook my head. “No. It’s not familiar.”
Johnson cocked her head to one side and gave me the eye. “We’re looking for whoever sold him the drugs. Depending on the toxicology results, we may be able to charge them in Tyler’s death.” She stared at me for a few more moments, but when I didn’t speak, she just nodded and turned to shake my father’s hand. “All right. You have my number if there’s anything else you need.”
“Wait! I have a question for you.” I could feel my mother stiffen beside me as I spoke.
Johnson paused, her gaze shifting between my parents. Whatever she saw in their faces didn’t deter her. “Go ahead.”
“The police officer who found Tyler’s body,” I said, “why did he go into that building in the first place?”
“You don’t know?”
I shook my head.
“We got an anonymous call.” She shrugged slightly. “We’re investigating that as well. There may have been someone with him who was afraid to stay and face the authorities.”
It turned my stomach to think that somewhere in the world, there might be a person who knew exactly what happened to Tyler, who might even have been with him when he died. Someone who wasn’t coming forward.
My father stood, bringing the conversation to an end. “I’ll walk you to the door, detective.”
Mom also rose to her feet, formal and polite in every circumstance. “Thank you again for bringing Tyler’s things.”
“Not a problem,” Johnson replied. She gave me one last searching look before disappearing with my father down the hall.
I turned to my mother. “Tyler’s things?”
She picked up a clear plastic bag, the size of a kitchen trash bag. A jumble of random objects shifted inside as she set it down on the countertop. “Tyler’s personal effects,” she said. “Stuff from his car, and the things they found with his …” She trailed off. His body, I thought with a sharp pang.
“His cell phone?”
“Missing.”
I reached for the bag, then stopped myself as a thought occurred to me. “Wait, so if they’re returning all this stuff to us, does this mean they’re done investigating? Is that the end of it?”
She closed her eyes and shook her head. Her expression didn’t change, but the twitch in her cheek betrayed her.
You’re making it harder for her, I thought. I remembered the look on her face when she had told my dad about the support group, and how she’d walked away when he tried to comfort her. She wanted to pretend all this had been an accident, and she wasn’t going to let us convince her otherwise. I bit down hard on the side of my tongue and said nothing. The two of us stood together for a moment, staring at the plastic bag.
Part of me thought, Let it go. But only part of me.
“Do you mind if I take a look?”
She opened her eyes again. “Go ahead.” I reached for the bag, but she took my arm. “You’ll talk to me, right? If there’s anything going on? Anything you need?”
“Sure, Mom.” I grabbed hold of the bag and edged free from her grip. “I’ll talk to you.”
Instead of going to my own room, I headed instinctively for Tyler’s. I sat down on his bed and upended the bag, spilling the contents out onto the quilt. All these things might hold his secrets: The True History of Tyler Brown in Seven Objects. Or they might only amount to a pile of junk. I pushed aside a blue sweatshirt and some crumpled receipts, and finally, at the bottom of the pile, I uncovered a wooden box with Abraham Lincoln’s head carved into the lid.
It was the same box I’d seen in my hallucination, when I had almost passed out by Tyler’s locker. My pulse sped up, and my mouth went dry. The box was real. And it had been with him when he died.
I sat staring at it for a few moments. It was far more elaborate than I remembered, and I felt drawn to it in a way I couldn’t explain. Ornate metal feet curled around the bottom corners of the box, and a brass clasp held it closed. The lid was intricately carved with curves and scrolls surrounding a central diamond shape, which framed Lincoln’s head. His face was in profile, like on the penny. He had the usual beard, but his hair was swept up and away from his forehead in a cool wooden pompadour. He looked like the James Dean of Abe Lincolns.
I reached out to run a fingertip over the scrollwork on the lid.
As soon as I touched it, a sharp heat seared across the center of my forehead. I jerked my hand back and rubbed at the pain, squinting at the box through narrowed eyes. I could hear my own breath, jagged and uneven, far too loud in the quiet room. My mind raced. What was going on?
Still gripping my forehead with one hand, I stretched the other out slowly. If I touched the box again, would the same thing happen? Before my trembling fingers made contact with the wood, I stopped myself. If this was really happening to me, I should proceed carefully. Methodically.
I went through all the other objects from the bag, handling each one carefully, but nothing unusual happened. Finally only the box was left. I stared at it for a moment, looking for answers in Lincoln’s face, but he gazed inscrutably into the distance.
No more excuses, no more delays I took a deep breath and seized the box in both hands. The pain drilled into me again, as though my head were splitting in half. It felt like the headache I had gotten before—turned up to eleven. I rocked backward onto the bed, still clutching the box, swamped by waves of nausea that barreled through me, one after the other. Somewhere beyond the pain, I could hear a rush of sound, words so indistinct I couldn’t make them out. At the edges of my vision, shadowy figures moved across a black and threatening landscape. I dropped the box and grabbed at my head with my hands, but the crushing ache did not fade.
What was happening to me? The fear overwhelmed even the pain, as I started to think again about all those scenarios that didn’t involve superpowers. Things like brain trauma. And cancer. And aneurysms.
I needed help. Wincing against the sudden, overwhelming brightness of the room, I staggered to the door. As I stepped out into the hallway, I saw a figure coming up the stairs. Tyler?
“No … I can’t …” I stumbled backward to escape the vision descending on me.
But this vision actually caught me before I hit the ground. It had strong arms and big chunky eyeglasses and smelled so good I wanted to cry.
“Nathan?”
I lost my balance, my eyes burning with tears of relief. Nathan dropped awkwardly to the rug with me half on his lap.
“Hey, hey, what’s wrong?” he asked, still cradling me.
“Thank god you’re real,” I whispered.
“Okay, let me get your parents. They’re right downstairs. They told me to come up.”
“No! Please. I’m fine.” I tried to untangle myself, but he tightened his arms around me, scrutinizing my face.
“You don’t look fine.”
“Get my painkillers. Please.”
“Are you sure you don’t want me to get—”
I grabbed a handful of his shirt. “No. Just help me? Please?”
He searched my eyes for a moment. “Okay,” he said. “Where are your pills?”
“Bathroom.” I tried to pull myself up. “Prescription bottle.”
“Easy there. Sit a minute.” He unwound himself from my bodyand headed down the hall. Without his warmth, I began to shiver. He brought me the migraine meds the doctor had prescribed, along with a glass of water, and I managed to choke down two tablets.
“Do you need to lie down?”
I nodded, and he hooked an arm around my waist to help me up. We stumbled down the hall to my room, where I kicked off my shoes and collapsed onto the bed.
Nathan looked around, his eyes going to the old drafting table I used as a workspace for my art. I liked to mix media, combining paint and fabric and paper, and all those supplies lay scattered across the table: acrylics, watercolors, and oils; Mod Podge and colored tissue; tiny triangles of paper in a dozen colors that I hadn’t bothered to sweep away. I had tacked a few finished collages on a corkboard above the table, and Nathan’s eyes lingered on them. They looked so small and vulnerable up there, and I half expected him to say, “You think you’re some kind of artist? Who do you think you’re fooling, Brown Brown?”
“So.” I forced out a laugh that sounded more like a cough. “You made it. Thanks for coming by.”
“Listen,” he said, “I’m gonna go.”
“Wait.” The back of my head still ached, and Nathan looked blurry around the edges. He tugged nervously at the bottom of his shirt, a short-sleeved black button-down with white panels in the front. He looked like he’d spent the afternoon bowling—in 1964.
I knew I should let him leave before I did something embarrassing, like passing out or throwing up all over him, but I wasn’t sure I had the guts to ask him to meet with me again. And I needed to figure out if he was one of those people Detective Johnson was looking for … the ones who knew more about Tyler’s death than they were telling.
“My backpack,” I said. “It’s in Tyler’s room. Would you get it for me?” He returned with it in a matter of seconds. “The front pouch. Pull out what’s in there.”
Nathan reached into my bag and came out with the roll of money. He held it up and turned to me, wide-eyed. “Holy shit, Megan. What are you into?”
My snort of laughter left me gripping my forehead in pain. “It’s not mine. It’s Tyler’s.”
Nathan didn’t respond. He turned the money over and over in his hands, a deep crease between his eyebrows. Finally he looked back at me. “I don’t get it. What was he …” Sadness flickered across his face, and he blew out a deep breath to steady himself.
My heart lurched toward him in that moment, and the rest of me wanted to follow. I didn’t know whether to be disappointed or relieved that he had no idea where the money had come from.
He held up the roll. “That detective said drugs. Heroin. You think this is related?”
“I don’t know.”
“’Cause this doesn’t look like buying. This looks like dealing.” He sat down on the edge of my bed.
“I know.” I stared at his hand, which rested a few inches from mine. My vision clouded over again, and I could feel myself getting woozy. I wasn’t sure if it was the migraine meds or some kind of aftereffect from the pain, but I was going to pass out, and soon. Even if Nathan couldn’t explain the money, I still wanted some answers.
“How did you meet my brother?”
Nathan glanced back over at my artwork. “Oh, you know, the usual places.”
“Was it at a party? A party in DC?”
His eyes were back on me in a second, and I felt like he was sizing me up. “I should go.”
I grabbed his hand as he stood to leave. “Are you a liar?” I asked.
He froze, his hand still in mine, and he didn’t answer.
“Because you don’t seem like a liar. You seem like someone who cared about my brother. But then, I’ve been known to have really bad judgment.”
After a moment, Nathan let go of my hand and sat back down. “Yeah,” he said. “We met at a party.”
“Did he go to a lot of parties in DC?”
“A few.”
I tried to concentrate, but the thoughts kept slipping away from me. “Why didn’t he ever take me with him?”
Nathan shook his head, rubbing his hands on his thighs. “It’s a long story.”
I let my head fall back onto the pillow. “I’m not going anywhere.” But the dizziness was getting worse. My stomach turned, and I could barely keep my eyes open.
“DC has a curfew. If you’re under seventeen, you can’t be out after eleven. So a lot of the parties are underground.”
“Like in someone’s basement?”
Nathan snorted. “Not literally underground. They throw them in businesses after hours, or in closed-up buildings.”
I fought to keep talking. “So Tyler was sneaking out and driving across state lines to break the law and dance in a boarded-up building?”
“Pretty much, yeah.”
I gave in to the vertigo and let my eyes drift shut. “I’m listening. Keep talking.”
Nathan took my hand in his. His thumb drifted across my knuckles, warm and comforting. And that was the last thing I remembered.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento